We see the brightness of a new page where everything yet can happen.
-Rainer Maria Rilke

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The madness is about to begin!

Well, it's that time of year again, and I'm not talking about Halloween or any of the other fast approaching holidays. I'm talking about NanoWrimo! National novel writing month is now here, and this will be my second year participating, and I am very excited! The goal is to write 50,000 words in thirty days. Now that may seem like a lot, but when you break it down, it's not so bad. As long as your creative juices continue to flow and you don't hit any brick walls along the way. It works out to about 1,667 words a day for 30 days, or about 12,500 a week for 4 weeks. Manageable, right? Sure. We can do this!

They say the idea is to just write and work on editing later. I for one, am unable to write that much without some editing, OK,  a lot, for me it just can't be done. They say that yes you'll be writing a lot of crap, but the main point is to write. Well, I for one, don't want to end the month with a bunch of time wasted on crap. So I plan on taking some steps to help prevent that. Yes, I do know that some crap is to be expected, and I'm OK with that. So, if your participating, plan, plan, plan. The goal of 50k in a month is a good training process, it gets you on a schedule and puts your writing on the forefront. It makes writing a priority in our crazy, hectic lives. It shows you your strengths and weaknesses in time management, as well as helps you find your best writing time of day or night.

 Last year I started with an idea, and that was about it besides a basic outline and some notes. This year, I am a little more organized, though late to the process. I bought Liquid Story Binder last year by Black Obelisk software. I used the thirty day free trial to begin with, so it took me through Nano without having to purchase anything. I love it! I will be honest, I wanted Scrivener, but it's for Mac only. So sad, but it will be available for PC users next year!! Plus, Nano winners will get an awesome discount! Pretty cool. I digress. Organization is definitely needed for most writing projects. Find the way that works with you and put it to good use. I have my idea and my characters. I also have my logline done, but it could do with a little tweaking. My synopsis needs to be re-worked to be the best that it can, but from where I was this time last year, I'm a lot better off. I have some work to do today before midnight comes calling, but I'll be OK.

There are a couple of non-writing things that need to be taken care of today as well. Normal household chores of course, but today will be a movie theater day! We don't go to the movies that often, because honestly, it's just to expensive, but this is a tradition. We will be watching Saw 7! Granted, I will be watching the gory parts behind closed eyes and covered ears, but what a hell of a ride! If you can get past the gore, the story line is pretty damn awesome!

Well, I'm signing out for now, but hope that you have a great Halloween!

~S~










No comments:

Post a Comment